[ubuntu-studio-devel] Introducing the potential new Ubuntu Studio Council

Ross Gammon ubuntustudio at the-gammons.net
Sat Feb 24 15:55:39 UTC 2018

Hi Jonathan,

Excellent news! We will probably wait a few days and see how many other
offers we receive, and then workout the process (it is new!).

But for now, welcome to the team :-)

Can you let us know your launchpad ID?

Can you let us know a little but about yourself (skills, what you have
done with Ubuntu Studio in the past, and what you might enjoy working on)?

Feel free to give the 16.04.4 Xenial "point release" a test if you have
time (see other post). It will hopefully be released on Thursday if
there are no serious bugs.



On 02/23/2018 02:23 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> I’ll join I don’t use Ubuntu studio at the moment but I remember when it was first created.
> I am in the process of changing jobs and hope to have more time to help and experiment on personal projects.
> Sent from my iPhone
>> On 23 Feb 2018, at 14:16, Ross Gammon <rosco at ubuntustudio.org> wrote:
>> Introducing the potential new Ubuntu Studio Council
>> ===================================================
>> Back in 2016, Set Hallström was elected as the  new Team Lead for
>> Ubuntu Studio, just in time for the 16.04 Xenial Long Term Support
>> (LTS) release. It was intended that Ubuntu Studio would be able to
>> utilise Set's leadership skills at least up until the next LTS
>> release in April 2018. Unfortunately, as happens occasionally in the
>> world of volunteer work, Set's personal circumstances changed and he is
>> no longer able to devote as much time to Ubuntu Studio as he would like.
>> Therefore, an IRC meeting was held between interested Ubuntu Studio
>> contributors on 21st May 2017 to agree on how to fill the void. We
>> decided to follow the lead of Xubuntu and create a Council to take care
>> of Ubuntu Studio, rather than continuing to place the burden of
>> leadership on the shoulder of one particular person.
>> Unfortunately, although the result was an agreement to form the first
>> Ubuntu Studio Council from the meeting participants, we all got busy and
>> the council was never set up.
>> Who was willing to be in the Ubuntu Studio Council?
>> ---------------------------------------------------
>> The attendees of the IRC Meeting that were to form the Ubuntu Studio
>> Council are: - **Set Hallström** (sakrecoer) - **Eylul** (eylul) -
>> **Len Ovens** (len-ovenwerks) - **Ross Gammon** (rosco2)
>> Now times have changed, and Eylul and Ross have also become very busy.
>> We are also aware that some regular contributors to Ubuntu Studio (I can
>> think of Krytarik for example) were not present for the IRC meeting.
>> So, now we are considering expanding the size of that original proposed
>> Council to try and bring in some new blood to Ubuntu Studio, and keep
>> the project going. In particular, we really need someone to step up help
>> with some leadership and direction, and build up the Ubuntu Studio teams.
>> How would the Ubuntu Studio Council Work?
>> ----------------------------------------
>> The Ubuntu Studio Council would exist to provide security and stability
>> for the Ubuntu Studio project, and to spread the workload of
>> administering the project. However, the actual work of producing
>> and maintaining each release of Ubuntu Studio would not done by the
>> Council. The actual work and decision making would be carried out,
>> through the various existing teams (e.g. Artwork, Development,
>> Testing, Website etc.). The council will of course help with
>> agreeing the long term direction of Ubuntu Studio and resolving
>> disputes as required.
>> The exact details of the working of the Ubuntu Studio Council need to be
>> documented on our wiki, but the following points were discussed and are
>> the likely way of working:
>> - A Council Chair
>> will be elected from within the Council with a minimum term of one
>> release of Ubuntu Studio.
>> - Elections to the Council will be carried out yearly to encourage
>> participation, and generate fresh ideas. Council membership terms will
>> be set to expire at overlapping intervals for stability, and re-election
>> is allowed.
>> - The size of the council is preferably between 3 and 5 members.
>> What do you think? Want to help out and keep Ubuntu Studio going?
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------
>> If you have any questions about this, please make contact on the
>> #ubuntustudio-devel IRC channel on irc.freenode.net, or the
>> developer mailing list
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-devel.
>> If this has inspired you to help out, we are always after more
>> help. Help to write and improve documentation, add new features,
>> test and fix Ubuntu Studio applications, help users solve problems,
>> is always welcome. Get in touch!
>> Please state whether you would like to join one of the teams and help out.
>> Please state whether you would be willing to join the council and be the
>> chair/leader for a release cycle (or more).
>> Regards,
>> Ross Gammon
>> Test Team Lead
>> -- 
>> ubuntu-studio-devel mailing list
>> ubuntu-studio-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-devel

More information about the ubuntu-studio-devel mailing list