[ubuntu-studio-devel] Candace

Erich Eickmeyer erich at ericheickmeyer.com
Mon Apr 2 14:55:26 UTC 2018

> On Apr 2, 2018, at 7:44 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 07:33:05 -0700, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
>> moving from QJackCtl to Cadence
>
> Dropping QjackCtl in favour of Cadence? If so, that's utter nonsense!

There’s no need to be rude, it was just an idea. All ideas are welcome here.

> You could provide Cadence, but you cannot move/migrate from QjackCtl to
> Cadence, since this would break the workflow for a majority of Ubuntu
> Studio audio users.

The idea only came from an article I read that I am unable to locate right now mentioning that the Jack developers recommend using Cadence anymore as QJackCtl is outdated, per the article. I, for one, don’t use QJackCtl in favor of Cadence in my workflow, so I’d love to see some data behind this “majority”.

> Btw. we already could use apps such as Qtractor or Ardour without a
> helper such as QjackCtl and without the need to use command line.
> However, QjackCtl with all its pros and cons, at least for backwards
> compatibility, is much more important than any replacement.

That’s fine, so there’s no reason why not to include both except for software bloat reasons. I just think that Cadence would lower the barrier for entry for a lot of users, but allow QJackCtl to be available for backwards compatibility.

Either way, the “utter nonsense” tone is a little offensive and, quite frankly, unwelcome.

Erich