[ubuntu-studio-devel] Gaining Wiki Edit Permissions

Set Hallstrom set at ubuntustudio.org
Mon Apr 2 11:27:23 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-31 06:34, Mike Lococo wrote:
> Set,
[.snip]

> Signed.

Thanks! I'll poke around as soon as i get the time. I think we have a
ubuntustudio group that has access to the wiki, but i need to remember
which one.
( i think it shoulld be:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-documentation
feel free to request addition to it. )

> But even as someone who knows their way around GPG, that was
> harrowing. No musician or artist experimenting with linux on a
> live-usb for the first time is going to successfully navigate that
> process to correct a wiki typo. I don't know if that means it's only
>  worth recruiting among existing ubuntu contributors, or we need to
> find ways to get people involved outside launchpad... but anyone with
> a half an hour to get their feet wet is going bounce off that process
> and never return.
>
> If any other new folks find the code-of-conduct signature process as
>  mystifying as I did, this was the simplest guide I found (though the
>  key-import screenshot is wrongly about ssh-key import, which is
> different than the gpg-key import you need to do to sign the CoC):
> https://www.wikihow.com/Sign-the-Ubuntu-Code-of-Conduct
>
> Cheers, Lococo

I understand GPG is cumbersome and a bit hard to wrap one's head around.
This said, so is development. Musicians, Artists, designers etc, are
welcome to help developing, but there is no short cut to it: you need to
learn the tools to do it and they are rarely very artistically
intuitive. However these type of contributors are often more comfortable
with PR, documentation and promotion. That means signing the code is the
most abstract thing they'll have to do.

I'm not saying it's a prefect process, and i agree that beggars can't be
choosers. But it is my opinion that we need some kind of sign of moral
commitment to the project, or we could as well just make everything public.

I hope i make sense.

Perhaps the entire embarking process is a good place to start with the
documentation update?

Thank you for taking the time, Mikelococo!

--
Set Hallstrom aka sakrecoer