[ubuntu-studio-devel] Next cycle

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri May 19 21:58:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, 19 May 2017, Ross Gammon wrote:

> On 05/17/2017 12:38 AM, eylul wrote:
>> Disabling auto-updates should NEVER be the default, period. It would
>> leave users system vulnerable to attacks.

Strongly dissagree on that one. Auto updates are performed on no real time
schedule and often happen while the user is trying to do something. If
auto updating _must_ be done then it should be moved to cron and the user
should be asked to choose the time. If autoupdates are turned off, there
_is_ a warning Icon that shows up in the top bar that says "hey you
haven't updated for a while would you like to check for updates." That is
good enough. The user can choose when that happens. This also avoids the
"hey I need Chromium so a can join a meeting on hangouts but I can't
download it because some other process is up dating my system for some
unknown amount of time."

> Fair enough (considering there are other use cases for US than audio work).

Auto update can be anoying no matter what kind of work is being done. It
slows compile times, graphic render times (so video too) and introduces
those "it works most of the time but every once in a while" kinds of bugs.

>> Users can turn off the auto-updates if they want to.(Go to
>> "software&Updates" -> "Updates". You can change how often the system
>> checks for updates, it currently only downloads and installs
>> automatically security updates, and displays the rest.) Advanced users
>> can make that choice. It is not ours to make.

It is very much our choice to make. High disk/network/cpu load activities
should _never_ be run without user request on a work machine. The user
should have to work hard to screw up their system, it should not be done
for them (automatically).

> Well - I prefer to check what the updates are before installing them.
> Sometimes, they can be quite disruptive (e.g. temporarily disabling
> something). It might be better to pull the internet cable out instead ;-)

Yup, one more reason for no auto updating.

In thinking about auto mounting of media I realize that we probably don't
need it. Automounted or not, the devices icon shows up in the file browser
anyway... so what does automount gain besides opening a new window in the
middle of things? Does it improve a workflow?

www.ovenwerks.net