[ubuntu-studio-devel] ubuntustudio.org email addresses for team members

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Fri Mar 4 22:55:15 UTC 2016

The whole Internet is in the process of dividing between a strictly controlled,
monetized/verified corporate network and a non-monetized free network, each
of which may eventually be unable to talk to the other. Now is the time to
decide which side of that divide you want to be on. It has already begun.

On the free side, activist email server Riseup's users had years of trouble with the
corporate email servers rejecting their emails because the Spamhaus project
became politicized and repeatedly listed them falsely as spam. This will spread,
I expect that ad-supported email will talk only to itself at some point in the future,
so there will effectively be two totally separate email systems. I will be blind to the
corporate side of this as I am to what happens on Facebook.

Yahoo has been caught blocking email access to people who block ads. Expect
that to become the industry standard and to have to close all accounts with all
ad-supported services  within the next few years. There are hacks to defeat that
bur such an account is endangered and should be emptied and closed ideally
within a single login session, as I did when Hotmail demanded phone verification
years ago and I had to break into my own account by using a cut and pasted URL

I have not yet had trouble with Hushmail and mailing lists, though setting up new
free Hushmail accounts now requires using one of the web services that
emulates a phone taking SMS messages to defeat SMS verification. My
acount will be abandoned without notice if they demand this on existing
accounts and find a way around the web service workaround, as I refuse to
permit any online activity involving me to be "verified."  At that point I will
probably have to set up a personal email server. My aggressive adblocking,
tracker blocking, and rejection of verification are not welcome among corporate
providers.