[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature tour (was: Seventh try )

Set Hallstrom set at ubuntustudio.org
Fri Jul 29 16:35:52 UTC 2016

fredagen den 29:e juli 2016 kl. 17:52:35 CEST, Kaj Ailomaa
<zequence at mousike.me> skrev:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016, at 02:33 PM, Set Hallstrom wrote:
>> On 2016-06-23 02:00, Jóhann Örn Geirdal wrote:
>> > Seventh try ;)  Hi here is only a base I will ad to it some more but
>> > what do you think about this?
>> > http://geirdal.is/index.php/studio-0
>>
>> I made a few shots that could work well as complementary pictures to the
>> more abstracto-figurative pictures Geirdal made for the categories.
>>
>> I realize they might not be perfect, but maybe you like the idea?
>>
>> I tried to make one for each category, but i think they all end up
>> having a lot of "audio focus" maybe it is a good thing? You tell me. One
>> sure thing is that the "graphic workflow" one, needs a different
>> on-screen content :D (too "cute, wtf, kindergarten")
>>
>> http://sakrecoer.com/ubuntustudio/featuretour__1.jpg
>> http://sakrecoer.com/ubuntustudio/featuretour__2.jpg
>> http://sakrecoer.com/ubuntustudio/featuretour__3.jpg
>>
>> The more i look at Geirdal pictures, the better i like these:
>>
>> http://geirdal.is/images/studio/audio_x.png
>> http://geirdal.is/images/studio/graphic_03.png
>> http://geirdal.is/images/studio/video_x.png
>>
>> If they are used without the pictograms, like they were intended: as
>> backgrounds for text and screenshots, i think they are perfect! They
>> refer to analogue times with very contemporary elements. I think it
>> emulates what we are quite well: /linux for creative humans/ a digital
>> product made by analogue robots ;) And they are quiet and noisy at the
>> same time, which i find to be a really poetic contrast.
>>
>> I think this one is really beautyfull but it should be used without the
>> logos for the general "about" text in the feature tour (:
>> http://geirdal.is/images/studio/studio_07.png
>>
>> It is risky, but i also find it very cool, fresh and inspiring. 90's
>> fractal with a millennial twist! This afternoon i will try put together
>> what i mean in a collage.
>>
>> I'm convinced that, properly framed on the page, using geirdals pictures
>> could make the sexiest feature tour, ever :)
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> --
>> Set Hallstrom aka sakrecoer
>>

> The only thing I would like to remind of is of the "big picgture", which
> should be about information. It's easy to become a bit obsessed about
> the details of a design, but the importance is still around what the
> whole thing informs.
>
> And, what is the information? That is the question that needs to be
> answered - not only with graphics, but with  the whole thing.
>
> The current feature tour is old, and should be buried. It should be
> replaced by something that does the same thing, but better. Better
> information. Better graphics, but most importantly - better information.

Thank you, Kaj!
I tried to base the text
( http://sakrecoer.com/ubuntustudio/feature-tour.txt )
and layout as good as i could on your and  autumna's wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/FeatureDefinitions/WebsiteXenial

The text (and me) is begging for review and i'd love to read/see what you
all think should be corrected both text- and design-wise. I believe it's
the typical kindof work that gets super strong from teamwork. After all,
speaking to all, takes many. :)

Yours,

--
Set Hallström