[ubuntu-studio-devel] Would Ubuntu Studio Team be Interested in Partnering with New England Conservatory?

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sun Jul 10 09:10:52 UTC 2016

Just want to mention a couple of things.

The way this communication was handled here has led to that Jimmy left
our team, which is a bad thing (Jimmy, me and Len are the oldest active
members of this community, currently).

Jimmy takes an initiative, but instead of being encouraged he is stopped
by something clearly unimportant in this particular situation.

Using Google Hangouts for live communication would in no way mean Ubuntu
Studio is promoting Google - just that a few people would be using a
very simple solution for live communication. If Set feels other tools
would be better, and simple enough to set up, he can always work out the
solution and present it as an alternative, once he has done so.

Our work is to promote Ubuntu Studio, which in itself is not 100% free
software, so having zero tolerance to non-free software in combination
with Ubuntu Studio is hypocrisy. It is not up to us who uses free
software, and we couldn't provide a 100% free software solution anyway
already because of the kernel. If someone wants to use a completely free
solution Ubuntu Studio is not the right choice - neither for the user or
the developer. It's just an impossibility.
That said, we do promote free software. And we do that through Ubuntu
Studio, which is where the focus should be. Using non free services in
order to reach as many people as possible is unfortunate, but it is also
the best way to do that in this moment. Not using those services will
just add barriers where there already are too many barriers, in order
for people to discover the free software world.

We are not crusading against Google, Facebook, or any other such
services. We are not *against* non-free software, in fact. But, we are
*for* free software. It's a big difference.