[ubuntu-studio-devel] Would Ubuntu Studio Team be Interested in Partnering with New England Conservatory?

Set Hallstrom set at ubuntustudio.org
Thu Jul 7 21:58:31 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 2016-07-07 23:15, Devin Ulibarri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my update:
>
> I just found out that the IT team at New England Conservatory (NEC)
> is purchasing DELL computers with "Ubuntu" pre-installed, but wiping
> their hard drives and installing Windows instead.
>
> The IT team said they are willing to consider making some computers
> available with Ubuntu (or Ubuntu Studio) on them, but they need a
> educational reason before they commit themselves to providing these
> computers to NEC.
>
> I am working with other teachers to see if we can bring Ubuntu
> Studio to the school.
>
> Also I still think that a clear, "official-ish" message from the
> core team of Ubuntu Studio would be a great asset. So far, I have
> been telling people that "If NEC students provide bug reports,
> Ubuntu developers will respond to fix them". Does that sound
> correct?

No, it doesn't sound correct. We are a small team of volunteers working
for the love of Art under the Ubuntu (canonical) umbrella, and we
haven't given you any such promises. Have you talked to Canonical? They
are the only ones that may pronounce themselves on this level. The
Ubuntu Studio developer team is dedicated to package multimedia software
into an Ubuntu flavor for multimedia production. You *cannot* expect
Ubuntu _Studio_ to prioritize your schools matter over any other user.

> Is there anything else I can add without over-reaching any promises?

I'm sorry if i wasn't clear enough when i wrote to you On 2016-05-30
09:17, Set Hallstrom wrote:

>> TBH our "brand" belongs to Canonical. Hence we cannot provide you
>> with any such support officially without the benediction of
>> Canonical. So if you need the backup of a corporation, your best
>> bet is to talk to canonical directly. But like Autumna says, it
>> isn't necessary. After all GNU/Linux is (not limited to, but also)
>>  about computing /by/ the people /for/ the people.

If you want to use Ubuntu Studio in your classes, you are welcome to do
so on your own behalf. If you expect official statements and support
guarantees, please reach out to Canonical.
http://partners.ubuntu.com/contact-us

However, and *no promisses attached* , i will personaly try my best to
forward your intentions in order to put you on the right path within
that organisation.

--
Set Hallstrom aka sakrecoer