[ubuntu-studio-devel] support for wine-rt out-of-box?

Hank Stanglow stanglow at yandex.com
Fri Aug 19 06:47:17 UTC 2016

Hello, I am a Web Developer, Artist, Musician, and long time user of
Ubuntu Studio. You guys do a great job! This distribution gives me the
best out-of-box experience for Web Development and I find the Art and
Publishing tools perfectly adequate for my needs. Music and Video? Not
so much, but this a problem for all Linux distributions. In fact, after
seven years of fumbling with the JACK/ALSA/Pulse nightmare I've given up
using native tools and now use WINE exclusively for audio work. Even KX
Studio has more problems than I care to deal with and the only thing I
take from its repos is wine-rt. If I were to make ONE suggestion for
Ubuntu Studio it would be to have a super stable, low-latency WINE-rt
environment for audio users (or good instructions on how to set one up).

That said, I am currently NOT using Ubuntu Studio as of 16.04. This is
because of one reason only, that is, too many bugs in Thunar. I know
could install a different tool (pcmanfm is great), but the file manager
is an integral part of a system and I really love Thunar above others. I
also know this has nothing to do with Ubuntu Studio. I hope the
XFCE/Thunar team can quickly fix their wonderful DE. As soon as they do
I will be back with Ubuntu Studio. In the meantime I am using Ubuntu
MATE, which is pretty good! Has you ever considered a MATE version?
Though I imagine it would be impractical to support two desktop
environments...

Thanks for your hard work and have a super day,
Hank