[ubuntu-studio-devel] new website

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Wed Apr 27 12:49:30 UTC 2016

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: [ubuntu-studio-devel] new website
Local Time: April 26, 2016 10:52 PM
UTC Time: April 26, 2016 8:52 PM
From: autumna at gmail.com
To: ubuntu-studio-devel at lists.ubuntu.com

Just to continue some of the discussions that happened on IRC before the
release...

I am assuming that at least for the this cycle of the website the layout
is mostly done, but we need to update/revisit the content. I do remember
that Kaj mentioned would like to have a more in depth revision of the
content.

If we want to revisit the content, maybe we can start with some personas,
and scenarios and move from there? This might help us brainstorm, even
though we will not (I assume) run a user-centered design process.

So just to start the example some personas stubs thoughts for the website:

user A: long time Ubuntu Studio user. experienced musician

user B: previous linux user. Film editor, is just switching to Ubuntu
Studio for first time.

User C: first time linux user. Expert graphic designer.

We could go more detailed with these personas, or add more, or just go
to scenarios.

Of course we could also choose a very different way to have this
discussion of how to organize content and
what is needed at the website. :)

Ideas? thoughts?

I think personas might be a good idea. We will need more than three but not too many to make it confusing. We have earlier discussed creating work flows for the different areas and applications. Sort of similar to user stories but with an explanation on to how it's done. As an example "As a hobby musician I want to record my music and publish a mp3." And a brief explanation on how to do that including the applications used.

Getting back to the personas I would include a type A2: Musician with no interest to computers and twiddling about with the Operating System, who just want to record and distribute their music.
To be able to get away from linux being only for the combined IT nerd and musician. I'm fine with fiddling with Jack and my soundcard to get the best performance out of it. My friends only want to plug in and record, as they do under Windows (when it's not running Windows Update of course) or Mac OS.

/Jimmy