[ubuntu-studio-devel] 16.04 Release Candidate Testing - for release Thursday 21st

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Apr 20 21:09:51 UTC 2016

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016, Thomas Pfundt wrote:

> My installation was completed successfully for both UEFI and Legacy
> boot, however I noticed that some of the titles in the slideshow that
> are displayed while installing received line breaks, because apparently
> the text is too long to be displayed in one line. The problem with this
> is that the field in which these titles are placed is too small to
> display two lines with appropriate spacing, so the lines are
> overlapping, making the titles extremely awkward to read. I also have to
> mention that this happened while installing in the German language,
> which is my native language, but I could imagine this happening with
> other languages as well, if words tend to be a little longer. When
> installing in English, I did not not encounter anything like this.

Thankyou for testing in other languages. I have not noticed this on my
system, but that is because I can only read english.

> I don't know if this is similar in nature, but when I received an update
> notification in the upper right corner of the desktop after starting the
> system for the first time and setting it up, one of the buttons (I
> assume it's supposed say "Install immediately" or something similar) had
> the label missing, I believe this could be another example of
> language-text changes where the text doesn't fit the box. I have not yet
> seen this notification box in my English installation, so I can't
> confirm this. I attached a screenshot of this in the mail.

That sounds like a bug in update-manager.

> Lastly, I haven't been able to test all of the applications thoroughly
> yet, but I noticed that the default file manager, Thunar, still has file
> renaming issues. When renaming files inside a folder, it sometimes
> completely crashes, opening an Apport crash report window. The report

I have never had that happen. I do rename files, but from your comments
further down not as much as you do.

> I remember having had this problem in previous versions already, I
> always installed Nautilus out of habit and set it as the default file
> manager to avoid it, however with Thunar being preinstalled, I have
> never been able to get into the Nautilus preferences, as the menu
> shortcuts only link to Thunar's display settings and the terminal only
> gives options for "nautilus-autorun-software" and
> "nautilus-connect-server". Thus, I wasn't able to permanently change the
> view to something useful as detail or list view (it resets itself to
> icon view upon closing).

Have you tried Settings->Preferred Applications->Utilities(tab)? When I
set Nautilus there it seems to just show up everywhere. (may not when
opening folders on the Desktop... I don't keep folders on my desktop so I
don't know) The desktop is Thunar.

If this does not work for setting the default file manager, that is a bug
for sure.

> Anyhow, I was wondering if this is not an issue that more people are
> struggling with, as it has been confirmed on Launchpad. Or is there an

Sorry to say I have been blissfully unaware this even though I use thunar
every day. I just don't rename files very much as part of my workflow.
This why it is great having many people test.

> I hope this information is in any way useful and if there's something I
> should test or look into, please just tell me.

It is useful for sure. Thank you.

> Apart from these issues, I haven't had a major problem while using the
> system so far and I must say that this is a great step up from previous
> releases in many aspects, also very happy to see the new version of
> Kdenlive added.

Studio used to have Nautilus, but at one point it started have a lot less
features, simplified beyond use. I see (in testing just now) that some of
these features have returned. We could add it to our seeds, but that would
not make it default and as we are trying to use Xubuntu's desktop with as
few changes as possible, that kind of pulls away from that. It is
something to look at though. The general feeling with standard computing
utilities is that everyone has their favourite and can install that after
the fact. (file managers, browsers, text editors,etc.)

www.ovenwerks.net