[ubuntu-studio-devel] Elementary OS

ttoine ttoine at ttoine.net
Fri Sep 4 09:12:36 UTC 2015

64 Studio, Dynabolic, AV LInux, ... were not easy to use Linux distros.
e.g: I tried to install 64 studio on my pc, without success. That is why
Ubuntu was superior for users at this time. And most of these projects
disappear many years ago... Ubuntu Studio, however, is still here, and is
one of the most user friendly.

> A lot of people want to be able to make popular music, so they need the
> wobble bass, supersaw, auto-tune, orchestra, world-music sample player,
> morphing synth, vinyl break etc. that isn't provided by Linux. They
> want to store and restore sessions, they don't want to lose data while
> making music, they don't want to run in one after the other issue.
> Linux is for enthusiasts only. You perhaps can use it to record classic
> music and similar, but not in the way popular computer music is made.

The fact is I now many sound engineers who are fed up with the way you work
to record and mix in Pro-Tools. The music creation is another workflow, you
do that with Cubase, Logic, or Live. And yes, you are right most of plugins
and software are not available for Linux (and I spoke a lot about that with
Steinberg...). However, some industry leaders are taking that in account,
like Harrison. And Harrison customers are industry leaders too in
recording, movie, broadcast, etc. Bitwig, created by former Abletong
employee, is also a very good creative tool.

Most people aren't interested in a Bob Katz meter, they want mastering
> software that is state-of-the-art.
>
> Most people want loudness-war mixes.

You are wrong, it is nearly over. iTunes, Youtube and Spotify are now
requesting specific parameters for the masters, and will automatically
lower music level to match the spec. Just follow that kind of news:
http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/news/

> Another issue are the Linux (audio) communities. There unlikely is a
> place with more narrow-minded narcissist then Linux (audio) communities.

I agree. This has always been a serious issue, from the beginning of Ubuntu
Studio.

> IOW the problem are missing software and a friendly place for
> communication and support.

That is the purpose of this thread, from the beginning.

With Ubuntu Studio, information is split an many places. We definitively
need to create one place with all the resource. Even places like LinuxMAO,
LAU, ... are not what we are looking for. We need to create a nice place if
we want to create a community of users. At the moment, resources provided
by Ubuntu Studio are for advanced users, but advanced users might prefer
other distributions. We don't help beginners the way they need. And
beginners with Linux are fed up to listen to "rtfm", "use google", click on
10 links to find the answer, etc.

> The bottom line is that you need to use Linux the way it is and if you
> expect an easy way to make music in the way as most people do it
> nowadays, then don't use Linux. If you want to make music in an old
> fashion way without experiencing issues, then don't use Linux.

If me and others would have been thinking like that 10 years ago, Ubuntu
Studio would not have been created at all. We were optimistic,
enthusiastic, and we did it. The best proof in fact is that you are
contributing to it.

> What you want stays out of reach.

We can change the game if we promote manufacturers who provide Linux
support for their hardware. We can also accept to speak clearly about non
free professional software that are working on Ubuntu Studio.

So, at the moment, you are right. But in the future, it depends on us.

So again, the question: do we do that with Ubuntu Studio ? or does it need
a new project with another name, like Elementary OS and Mint ?