[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec Discussion: Desktop Agnostic

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 06:09:09 UTC 2015

> on all flavours... well maybe not Unity (actually I think I did, but
> disliked it so much, I gave up), Unity is a beautiful experience and
> entertaining, but does not make "work" as easy for me.

It depends on the user, but for me it has been the most suitable for
work. The first reason it gives the biggest amount of screen space to
the apps which I like, and the second reason is that the Super + 1-9
hotkeys are enough for me to quickly start + switch between key apps
dragged to the launcher. Super + F for recent files/file search and
Ctrl + Super + Arrows and Super + W/S for window manipulation complete
the set of what I usually use. Another flexibility is that it using
Compiz means it's pretty customizable (aside from the usual woes of
lack of Unity specific location settings), for example one could set
certain apps to always start to certain workspace etc.

But, it depends, like said. For some/many users it's seen as clunky UI
that's mouse driven but meant for touch screens from design
perspective. In my opinion that's only the surface.

-Timo