[ubuntu-studio-devel] PR & Support: Where to fish for contributors?

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Wed Oct 28 11:14:19 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
wrote:

> Regarding social networks my guess is, that those are used by a
> majority of people who don't use a computer as a meaningful tool.
>
> Does Ubuntu Studio need a target group of idiots and xenophobes?
>

> https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresting/comments/3qibqd/i_found_a_whole_potato_in_my_bag_of_chips/
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresting/comments/3qfuy3/i_got_a_political_fortune_cookie_yesterday/
> https://www.facebook.com/RefugeesWellcome
>
> Word-of-mouth recommendation, if somebody is asking for a tool in the
> real world, IMO the the only good "public relation".

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning? Bringing up at couple of strange
threads from reddit doesn't mean everyone reading other things there are
idiots. Facebook has been and still is an important tool for refugees and
volunteers. Myself, I'm very much involved in Refugees Welcome which is the
main reason I don't have time for Ubuntu Studio at the moment. The networks
I have connected with through Facebook are no idiots or don't know how to
use a computer and the internet as a tool. For many that is the main tool
to even navigate through Europe.

Social media and networks IMHO are excellent if you use them right.
Word-by-mouth is also a great tool, but word-by-mouth on the internet has a
wider and faster spread and can work as great complement to in person
recommendations. There would be no Ubuntu Studio without social networks.
In that case it would only be a local distro a bunch of friends put
together.

/Jimmy