[ubuntu-studio-devel] Package Testing

Ross Gammon retail at the-gammons.net
Sun Oct 11 13:17:41 UTC 2015

On 10/11/2015 01:44 PM, flocculant at gmx.co.uk wrote:

[...]

> Something I neglected to mention - testcases like this work best when
> they're short.
>
> So if it would take a while (maybe 30 minutes min) to run something -
> thinking about audio/graphic production then I'm not sure about the value.
>
> You might be better exploratory testing - probably what you do - that is
> run with the dev version and report bugs.

That is good guidance.

I haven't timed any manual test cases that we have, but I would be
surprised if they took that long.

One area that would help to optimise, is if we had somewhere to store
sample/example files. A lot of time is wasted for each test trying to
find a "free" file somewhere on the internet (or decompressing example
files provided with the package hidden deep in /usr/......).

This is also one of the reasons the tests take so long to write.

Cheers,

Ross