[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio - Application Testing

flocculant at gmx.co.uk flocculant at gmx.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 15:41:12 UTC 2015

On 23/11/15 19:29, Ross Gammon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> [snip]
>
> I think we need to start writing test cases straight away, so that we
> can ask flocculant to create a tracker to list all our test cases (or
> add them to the existing list of packages on the tracker at
> http://packages.qa.ubuntu.com/) sometime before February 2016.
Hi - I'd love to help - but as I'm not in the studio release team I'd
not actually be able to do that for you.

I'm more than happy to go through it with you when you need to do so.
> There is a list of packages, and bugs requesting the test cases here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Testing/Testcases
> So feel free to pick a package (maybe one of your favourites) and begin
> drafting a test case. You can either follow the processes linked on that
> page, or just send me a text file (or here to the list), and I will take
> it from there.
>
> Basically the test case needs:
> 1. A short description of the test (1 sentence or so)
> 2. Any remarks (e.g. where to download a known file to work with, or how
> to check your system is correctly set up).
> 3a. Action sentences (e.g. Click on the "Open File" icon).
> 3b. A matching result (e.g. File Selection Window opens).
Have a look at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-testcase/ubuntu-manual-tests/trunk/view/head:/testcases/packages/1596_Update%20Manager
for the way they need to be written.
> We should try and keep the test cases fairly short, and only test that
> the program runs, you can open and save files, do basic editing &
> creation, and output the creation as applicable. See package qa tracker
> for examples.
>
> It would be great if we could all pick a package (or three) that we know
> and love, so that we quickly build up a portfolio of tests. Although it
> is possible, doing a test case for a package you don't know very well
> can take a lot of time.
>
> Over the next days, I will be checking the list of packages is up to
> date, and updating the priority column to focus on a small number of
> important applications. And then I will get kicking from where I left
> off last time!
I CAN help here and make sure it all gets onto the right place in the
tracker base.