[ubuntu-studio-devel] Our Set of Freedesktop Categories, WAS:Re: Feature Definition Discussion: Multimedia Application Categorization

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Mon Jun 22 14:16:05 UTC 2015

I had a go at updating this page to what seems appropriate right now
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/FreedesktopCategories
It's all straight from the Freedesktop standard, except for a few
additions/changes.

DiscBurning is deemed not to belong to AudioVideo. But, there is no
immediate action plan coupled with that yet. Still, it is not grouped
inside the Audio or the Video categories for the time being.

# Some additional (custom) categories (with the prefix -X)

These three are the ones we have so far. If you come to think of any
additional obvious category, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm sure it
may occur to someone later on to add one, and that is alright too. These
are custom categories, but they need to have some purpose too, of
course. In some way, I'm considering these as possible additions to the
freedesktop standard.

## X-VirtualInstrument (Audio;AudioVideo)

Was named Instrument before, by me. I reconsidered, and called it
VirtualInstrument.
Another possibility would be SoftwareSynthesizer, which wikipedia seems
to prefer, though I am thinking of samplers too.
Yet another, SoftwareInstrument. I'm not 100% on this yet, but the term
I am most used to using myself is virtual instrument.

## X-DAW

DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation, which usually means a
sequencer that can record and edit audio, with the addition of the usage
of processing effects (usually plugins) as well as software instruments.

## X-Typography

Not put there by me, and since I don't know graphics very well I leave
it to Set to figure this one out :).