[ubuntu-studio-devel] The DiscBunring Category WAS:Re: Feature Definition Discussion: Multimedia Application Categorization

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jun 22 12:48:12 UTC 2015

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015, Set Hallstrom wrote:

> On 2015-06-22 13:32, Jimmy Sjölund wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me
>> <mailto:zequence at mousike.me>> wrote:
>
>>     Utility seems like the best freedesktop category for this type of
>>     applications, anyway. No?
>>
>> I agree. AudioVideo is a bit far fetched IMHO.
>>
>> /Jimmy
>
> I agree too, most of the time when i burn a disc, it's data that has
> little to nothing to do with audio. Utility is good. ATM there is an
> "Accessories" entry in the 14.04 menu, and i've wondered why disc
> burning tools aren't there...

While I do agree that disk burning is not really a multimedia thing... The
CD was designed for audio and the DVD was designed for video. The use of
these two formats for data storage, while common, came later. So
multimedia is not incorrect. The tools for writing to CD/DVD media
generally have more code to deal with audio/video than data. The choice of
using Accessories for a menu name instead of Utilities makes less sense to
me, but that has been a choice made upstream. I agree
Utilities/accessories is where disk burning belongs with todays kinds of use.

www.ovenwerks.net