[ubuntu-studio-devel] Why keeping the email thread is important and how to do it

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 22 09:53:45 UTC 2015

>On 2015-12-22 02:44, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:
>> Hushmail blocks unpaid users from access other than by the webpage,
>> so email clients don't work.
>
>But you can put the text-marker at the bottom of the message...?! :)
>
>I rather see a wrongly formatted email, then /no/ email. But i think it
>is very important to keep things as clear as possible, due to the time
>we can save that way. :)

Indeed, if somebody makes a mistake or for what reason ever is used to
always do something in a mailing list unusual way, it's ok. However, I
guess breaking threading and even not to correct a digest's subject and
at the same time requesting mailman to send plain text digest, but to
reply using HTML, let me assume that an explanation is required.

If a mailer is able to send HTML formatted text, then it's able to
handle MIME digest either. If we reply to an attached mail neither the
subject nor the thread gets broken.

IOW if somebody stops to reply to plain text digest, but instead starts
to reply to MIME digest, then even top-posting isn't that bad anymore,
since everybody could sort mails by thread and ignore the text below
the top-posted reply.

Again the link to the explanation how to get rif of plain text digest
and to enable MIME digest:
http://www.list.org/mailman-member/node28.html

Regards,
Ralf