[ubuntu-studio-devel] Elementary OS

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Thu Aug 27 20:33:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015, at 02:27 PM, ttoine wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I would like to share an idea I have for some time ago. Seing the success
> of Elementary OS or Linux Mint, both based on Ubuntu, I really think that
> we should create something like that.
>
> The fact is that we are using a Ubuntu base name (Ubuntu Studio) and we
> have a lot of constraints from Canonical. They are hosting the website,
> we
> are not allowed to collect donations or make money on merchandising with
> this name, etc. Elementary and Mint can !
>
> So I am really thinking about creating something based on Ubuntu Studio,
> but with another name. So we could have our own website, our own doc &
> forum, and create a independant community of enthusiasts who produce
> audio,
> video, grahpic, with free software...

Why not spend the energy where it is most needed instead - which in our
case is Debian/Ubuntu/Ubuntu Studio?
While it is good to have diversity and different ways of doing things,
but at some point I think it just becomes uneconomic in the end with
duplication of work and less quality as the end result.

Also, there are already a few distros (which perhaps all of them are
audio only), and maybe they would be interested in your help? Like
KXStudio or AVLinux?