[ubuntu-studio-devel] Elementary OS

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Thu Aug 27 16:58:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:27 PM, ttoine <ttoine at ttoine.net> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I would like to share an idea I have for some time ago. Seing the success
> of Elementary OS or Linux Mint, both based on Ubuntu, I really think that
> we should create something like that.
>
> The fact is that we are using a Ubuntu base name (Ubuntu Studio) and we
> have a lot of constraints from Canonical. They are hosting the website, we
> are not allowed to collect donations or make money on merchandising with
> this name, etc. Elementary and Mint can !

Have Elementary and Mint actually raised any money though?

I'm not convinced the constraints above are too inconvenient. They also
provide services for the community to use. It's a double edge sword with
Ubuntu. For some it's bad since it's "Ubuntu", for others it's a good thing
because Ubuntu is quite large and with Canonical behind it. I'm always a
bit confused by people who "hate" Ubuntu but love Mint. Umm no Ubuntu, no
Mint...

What would the benefits be? As Ubuntu Studio it's easier to get things done
in Ubuntu. As a third in line distro (Debian -> Ubuntu -> XYZ) it would be
even further away from the "source" Debian. I have more been toying with
the idea of doing a Debian Studio and get higher up in the food chain.
However, it is just recently that Debian actually worked good on my laptop
so it hasn't been that tempting. And there already is AVlinux.

> So I am really thinking about creating something based on Ubuntu Studio,
> but with another name. So we could have our own website, our own doc &
> forum, and create a independant community of enthusiasts who produce audio,
> video, grahpic, with free software...

How would that be different from Ubuntu Studio instead of growing the
community for US?

> Also, if what is done is great, it would allow to have partnerships with
> editors like Harrison (Mixbus) or Redshark (Lightwork), or other vendors
> providing their solution for Ubuntu Linux based distributions.

It would depend on the vision for the distro?

> My aim is not really to create a business/company. But if we can collect
> some money, we can then donate it to developers (Ardour, KXStudio, ...), or
> create bounties to fix bugs/issues. If "a lot" of money is coming, we could
> also reward contributors with goodies, pay to go at Linux Audio conference,
> have a booth at Namm or Musik Messe, etc.
>
> I know that it may sound like a crazy challenge. What do you think of this
> idea ? Does it inspire you ? Would you have ideas for another name ?

I'm intrigued, but not convinced it would be a better alternative. How
would it be different than KX Studio? How would it be different from
growing Ubuntu Studio?

I'm willing to throw ideas around, there were some discussions in irc
channel recently on the future and breaking out to a new distro or other
options. Though I think more things will get more difficult than easier and
as a loyal Ubuntu Studio users since 2007 I'm not easily swayed over to
alternatives any longer... ;)

/Jimmy