[ubuntu-studio-devel] I will be stepping down as project lead at around the release of 16.04

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Wed Aug 19 10:33:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:

> It's only natural for everyone here to have very little time, since none
> of us have this as a job. You haven't had any specific responsibilities,
> so nothing has been suffering because of absence. I would be a lot more
> absent too if I was in a different position.
>
> I'm counting on that some people may step up in their commitment if they
> need to fill a role such as project lead. However, it is good to
> understand the weight of the commitment. I'm thinking two years minimum,
> until the next LTS.
>
> And there's a difference between what you must do as a project lead, and
> what you can do.
> What you must do is make sure:
>  * Releases are tested
>  * Critical bugs are fixed (before release, usually)
>  * Announcements for releases and other important things are done
>  * Web page, wikis and social channels are maintained
>  * Be available on at least email, but preferably also on IRC
>
> In order to fix bugs you need to have some understanding of the whole
> development procedure (launchpad, bug reports, how to analyze a problem,
> who to talk to for information, etc, etc), as well as knowledge of
> packaging. Otherwise, you will be relying on someone else to fix the
> problem for you.
> So, I'd rather see a project lead who is an able Debian packager, with
> upload rights to our own packages. This is where I am now, after many
> years of involvement, but I was never a software developer to begin
> with. This is just a side interest of mine. Len could do this, he'd just
> need to get upload rights.
>
> On top of that, there's a lot anyone can do, be he/she a project lead,
> or not. And, things not being obligatory, they often do not get done,
> unfortunately.
>
> Beyond that, I think it's also important to respect Debian Policy (in
> the case with packaging), Ubuntu policies, and whatever non-formalized
> policy that we have - which is something worth thinking about and
> writing down. There are a bunch of stuff that we follow, like how we
> select packages for our metas.

Same story here. I was hoping to become more active again, but work and
family takes its toll and time and I have not been able. Everytime I think
things are looking up something shows up filling that time slot.
It's sad to see you step down, Kaj, but you also talked about it years ago
and it is time consuming so I understand you want to focus on other things
for a while.

As already mentioned, Len is a good candidate. There is at the moment not
that many that are active on a continuous basis. I agree with Mike's
suggestion (read in the irc logs) to run a meeting or two and have some
discussions. If not only to get people involved and perhaps a sense of team
activity. I also see an opportunity to perhaps delegate some activities to
other roles so not one person have to do loads of work.

/Jimmy