[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec Discussion: Introduce New Netinstall ISO

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue May 20 02:47:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> By netinstall, I don't mean in the traditional term. Just that most
> things get installed over the net, instead of from the ISO.
>
> My view, as I said before, would be it is to be used for two things:
> * installing only what you need over the internet (so, no need to
> download the entire 2+GB ISO)
> * simple troubleshooting/testing (again, no need to download the entire
> 2+GB ISO).
>
> Also, it would be nice if could fit on a CD, all though the CD is a
> dying medium.

200 Meg CDs fit in pockets real nice. I once had (maybe I still do) an
ISO image that would fit in 200 Meg with a DE, browser and a pack of
network and other admin tools... even a windows reg editor. Seems to me
the browser was very basic, but there was a menu item for downloading and
installing firefox into memory.... But, are there any machines made since
2000 that will not boot from a USB stick? USB started showing up before
then. I do have One running laptop from 98 that while it does have a usb
port, will not boot from it. However, at 360Mhz and 256M ram, it is not
going to do much of any audio. In fact, there is no Ubuntu flavour that is
worth running on it. Funny, I used to be able to get videos to run
smoothly on it at one time. I used vcds to keep the kids busy on long
trips.

Anyway, Aim for CD size, if for nothing else besides short DL time. Do you
want it pretty too? or are coloured backgrounds ok? Can we ditch plymouth?

Is there some kind of "sandbox" we can build ISOs in? If the ISO has a
package blacklisted so it is not included on the ISO, can ubiquity still
DL and install that package later? Right now our (and most flavours) rely
on a basic desktop package (i'm guessing X and some generic X apps/utils).
It would be nice to still use that but be able to blacklist things at
least to try without them. IS there any reason to do both 32 and 64 bit..
at least to start? I wouldn't mind playing with a seed package for this.

ubiquity uses gtk? (on top of python) So the DE should also be GTK based.
LXDE has announced they are moving towards QT, so that is probably out
unless there is a qt based version of ubiquity that does not also use the
kde toolkit. XFCE is probaly the only one that makes sense, or to put it
another, any other DE will still result in the gtk libs just for ubiquity
anyway.

We need a menu, but not indicators or systray, the netman will run without
them. Do we need the panel? Is there a menu without? (if so would the
average user find it?) How stripped down do we want/need? The install
option has no DE. ubiquity becomes the wm. It will start the netmanager if
it is needed for example. We can make something with very little that will
do the job, but should we?

Matchbox anyone?

www.ovenwerks.net