[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec Discussion: Introduce New Netinstall ISO

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Mon May 19 21:13:31 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014, at 11:10 PM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2014, at 05:32 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 May 2014, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> >
> > > I would like us to introduce a new netinstall type of ISO, small enough
> > > to fit on a CD, and useful when you don't want to install the whole
> > > suite of packages that come with Ubuntu Studio.
> >
> > A "netinstall" ISO is in the form of the old style ALT iso. Is this what
> > you mean? This is an install only media except for shell access. The old
> > alt installs were the netiso with a package repo on disk and an install
> > script to install them. Not much good for testing.
> >
> > > I'm thinking a stripped down version of our current ISO. Keep the core
> > > stuff, like jack, so the installer can be used for simple testing too,
> > > but otherwise nothing.
> > > We will need a super light DE setup for this. I do prefer to have a DE,
> > > with a web browser and easy graphical means of setting up wifi, and
> > > such. Also, with the ubiquity installer. As little maintenance as
> > > possible should be the goal of course.
> >
> > Ah, So this is really a very lite live iso. It needs a WM and a menu to
> > work. But could still do the install an alt style so that the the
> > packages
> > on the ISO itself would not be what got installed. I do not know how well
> > ubiquity would deal with this. But ubuntustudio-installer with the
> > expansions you have envisioned might do well... except that would require
> > (ubiquity too) a number of gui libs to be installed. I would almost
> > suggest against any of the DEs that we support so that the user would be
> > aware from the start that this look and feel of this ISO are not
> > representative of any of the installed flavours.
> >
> > It would be good to define the exact use cases for this ISO.
> >
> > --
>
> By netinstall, I don't mean in the traditional term. Just that most
> things get installed over the net, instead of from the ISO.
>
> My view, as I said before, would be it is to be used for two things:
>  * installing only what you need over the internet (so, no need to
>  download the entire 2+GB ISO)
>  * simple troubleshooting/testing (again, no need to download the entire
>  2+GB ISO).
>
> Also, it would be nice if could fit on a CD, all though the CD is a
> dying medium.

And, using ubiquity, and in all other regards, a similar setup to our
DVD, would make it easier to maintain. Less variables to keep track off.

Also, as I suggested before, having network-manager with a graphical gui
is kind of nice when setting up an internet connection, if you need
wifi.
Plus, when doing simple testing, you still need graphical tools, and
most often, access to the internet with a browser.