[ubuntu-studio-devel] LTS proposal 14.04

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Mon Feb 24 12:06:17 UTC 2014

We are asked to make a proposal for our LTS, and how long we would like
to support it.

If no one objects, I will create a simple page declaring that we would
like to support Ubuntu Studio for the full period that Ubuntu supports
it's LTS (5 years), and following their schedule of point releases.

Motivation:
Older machines will have use of an older release, and it is quite common
for production machines to keep the same release over a period of many
years for the sake of stability and simplicity (no need to learn new
features).
Support needed is quite minimal. If there are bugs specific to Ubuntu
Studio we fix them. Past the Xubuntu 3 year support period, if there are
any XFCE specific bugs, we fix those too - but usually after 3 years,
not much changes, so support is quite easy.

Possible reasons against:
Xubuntu will only support their LTS for 3 years. Since we base our
default DE on theirs, it means we need to take over support for
everything XFCE related after those three years.

You can read more about the call for flavors to state their LTS status
here
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-release/2014-February/002783.html