[ubuntu-studio-devel] Default search engine

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sun Sep 15 00:23:55 UTC 2013

Google's logging of IP addresses gives them a searchable list of all searches from
anyone using a static IP address, or a string of IP addresses forwarded by law
enforcement. The static IP info can be sold to marketers, dynamic IP info will be
available anytime an ISP cooperates or law enforcement gets a warrant (etc).

When someone uses Startpage with HTTPS, Google has the search string but not the
IP addresses. The user's ISP and anyone watching them get the IP address but not the
search string. Even if the NSA has a backdoor into the SSL varient used, to get a warrant
and use the search strings in court would require the NSA to show up in court and expose
the back door.

Therefore, when using Startpage, Google has only the strings, anyone else only the IP
addresses, meaning NOBODY has the ability to search search strings by IP address and
then sell it to a marketer or talk about it in court.