[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio 13.10 - Default wallpaper proposition RC1

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Sep 9 18:33:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 09:12 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:

>>> That would be 13.04. in 13.10 we have a new installer that only displays sw
>>> that might be used in that menu.
>
> No, I booted the live dvd ubuntu studio 13.10 beta1 amd64 from
> 02-Sep-2013, downloaded by me at 07-Sep-2013.

Hmm, the new installer did go in late, but should have been there. It was
in my alpha (daily) downloaded before that. Unless the beta image did not
point at the right iso. You should have noticed that all the workflow
submenus have new icons too. The icon for the "extra audio production
applications" should be the one you designed for me.

USC should only show up in two places (oops three): on the main menu (I
would like to remove it from there... or make that the only place), in the
system folder and on the bottom panel (I would like to remove that as I
have noticed that my non-programer wife just finds it to be an anoyance
when trying to select something close to the bottom of the screen).

USC definately shows up in too many place in my opinion. I had not said
much because I thought it was just part of being a Ubuntu flavour. Now
that I have tried all the official flavours, I know different (kubuntu and
lubuntu have their own SC and LSC for sure is only free content) and would
like to at least minimize it's presence if not remove it completely.

One of the "selling points" of Ubuntu (or gnu/linux in general) is the
large amount of software available. Synaptic is not really a great
showcase for this and so USC was created. From that POV, USC (or something
like it) should be somewhere. It is too bad it is so big, slow and clumsy.
There is the possibility of xubuntu helping to develop LSC. That would
probably be a better choice for us.

www.ovenwerks.net