[ubuntu-studio-devel] 14.04 Developing Workflows

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Thu Oct 17 15:32:35 UTC 2013

This is for Jimmy in particular, but I'm hoping we'll get more people on
board helping us out with this particular task that we need to do for
the next LTS release of Ubuntu Studio.

So, as a part of developiing workflows for 14.04, we need to:

## List all multimedia applications

We have a way to do that here http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/ ( under
categories such as "sound" and "video" and "graphics")
More options should be considered.

## Create a tree of categories and subcategories for all our workflows

Once all applications have been listed, someone who understands a
workflow, such as audio, graphics or video creates a list of
subcategories for it, such as "recording", "multi-track recording",
"mixing", "mastering", etc.

## Make changes to our menu, accordingly, and submit freedesktop
category changes upstream

Once categories have been finegrained, we should take it further and
suggest changes upstream for some of the big categories.
There are some subcategories that exist already, such as "sequencer"

## Decide what applications we want to include on our ISO

We might be able to include all of them.
We could have two images. A basic CD size installer, and a full size DVD
with all the goods included.
Since we are making it possible to install selections of Ubuntu Studio
packages for 14.04, the DVD could be much larger, and still not pose a
problem during installation, since the user decides what goes in and
what does not.

If anyone has any opinions or ideas, please do share. We're just
starting to prepare development of the next LTS release, and the
ambitions are pretty huge at this point.

Hope to see more people getting involved!

/Kaj Ailomaa - Ubuntu Studio project lead