[ubuntu-studio-devel] Xfce - Was: Anoying/confusing things in our DE

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Nov 21 21:54:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> while writing this message, the download of Kubuntu 13.10 finished. I'm

> Hopefully I can get the menu entries, without the need to install Xfce
> or Xfce dummy packages.

The studio menu package has been tested on kubuntu and does work. It works
best with the classic menu style, right click on the menu icon and select
classic menu style. But it will work with most other styles as well.

The easiest way is still to install ubuntustudio-installer. Run the
installer (it's in system at the bottom) and you will have a choice of
things to install. You will want audio for sure and the menu. The
lowlatency kernel has worked well for me, but I understand not so well for
you. KDE is one of the DEs where our menu just works, lxde, xfce and any
of the gnome variants have a broken menu specification file that needs a
slight fix to work. I think xubuntu has fixed theirs and may have pushed
it upstream. The Gnome world is more interested in putting more hurdles to
jump over than in fixing things :P (this is a two line diff fix... moving
one line from the top of the file to the bottom)

www.ovenwerks.net