Making Studio work with more than one DE

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu May 23 19:14:39 UTC 2013

I heard Kdenlive has 30+ developers, meaning it would be a full-time job or more for
one person to write another video editor as capable as Kdenlive from scratch.
This kind of collaboration makes FOSS programs or of course the whole
OS distros possible. With enough people each working a small part of the problem
as a hobby or because they just plain need to use it, the job gets done.

Example: Someone on the MLT project managed to write code to use GLSL
shader language directly, bypassing all that OpenCL development that is nowhere
near done for open drivers. Shotcut, which is based on GPU Compute, can now
use that code, and also gives excellent OpenGL playback of XML files generated
by Kdenlive.

I doubt it will be long before the new MLT capablities exposed by Shotcut
find their way into Kdenlive. If not, Shotcut can do things Kdenlive can't do
yet, such as good interpolation of clips shot at too low a framerate. On the
other hand, Shotcut works more like Avidemux than an NLE, so I only know
how to use it on individual clips, a finished render or on one of Kdenlive's
XML project tiles.

If the Shotcut and Kdenlive teams ever merged, I suspect one hell of a video
editor would come from that mating, one as good as anything on the market.
The real hard work for GPU computer has already been done, after all.

Needless to say, Kdenlive, Shotcut, MLT, and ffmpeg/avconv are all free projects!

<clip>
On 05/23/2013 at 5:21 AM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

>Programming NLVE is very time consuming, IOW expensive, so it's
>hard to
>do for free. There is NLVE software for Windows and OsX machines
>that
>already can be used with averaged home PCs.

<clip>