Making Studio work with more than one DE

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Thu May 23 11:39:58 UTC 2013

Am 23.05.2013 12:58, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 12:19 +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:
>>> However, the work flow to make a home video in a Roland Emmerich
>>> style, does differ to making a home video in a Jim Jarmusch style.
>> The latter is much easier, that is correct.
>
> JFTR that's what I want to point out, the Jim Jarmusch style _regarding
> to film editing_ is easier to do (regarding to the needed software and
> assumed the cutter has got the creative abilities), possible to do at
> home. OTOH I never experienced something like Cinellerra as usable for
> doing this, since it does crash and I never heard before that it should
> be that stable.
>
> Regarding to other aspects, e.g. the lighting engineering it's
> impossible to make a Jim Jarmusch style film.
>
> The same for music, it's possible to record e.g. classical music with
> Linux, but nearly impossible to make a top ten chart song, you at least
> need stand alone gear that does provide that simply isn't available for
> Linux.

But Tocotronic *are* Top 10 and they recorded on a 4-trac, no MIDI, no
synths and for sure no auto-tune.
Just a Band playing in front of good microphones.

And regrding the top-10 electronica-stuff you may have in mind: these
are nt recorded with Linux because the industry waorks with products
from the industry, not because it would be impossible. Give, you have
singers, that do not need to be autotuned.

People buy songs and right there in the Pop-singlecharts technical
sound-quality standards matter even less than in the realm of real music.
Any catchy melody, a grooving bass, a working dance-beat and lots of
loudness make a recording, that can be made a hit by applying some 2-3
Millions USD for video/promo/advertizing.

There is not technical power behind top-10 recording....

best regards

HZN