Making Studio work with more than one DE

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Wed May 22 14:12:09 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013, at 09:25 AM, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 22.05.2013 07:53, schrieb Len Ovens:
> > This is an interesting project.
>
> To be frank: "interesting project" is quite bold a description for
> installing more than one DE in Linux. It would be "interesting" though,
> if the US-packages would fail to run OK in KDE, Fluxbox UNITY, you name
> it.
>
> So if you got the time, and if you do not mind please allow me to point
> your attention to other things, that my or may not be most interesting
> too:
>

> Mon May 13 17:50:27 2013: JACK server starting in realtime mode with
> priority 10
> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: cannot register object path
> "/org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2": A handler is already
> registered for /org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2
> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: Failed to acquire device name : Audio2
> error : A handler is already registered for
> /org/freedesktop/ReserveDevice1/Audio2
> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: Audio device hw:2 cannot be acquired...
> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: Cannot initialize driver
> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1
> Mon May 13 17:50:28 2013: ERROR: Failed to open server
>

> To have a Ubuntu Studio, that can in fact always start Jack on supported
> hardware under any DE you like, would indeed be a most interesting thing
> to be achieved I dare to think.
>

> best regards
>
> HZN

This was a bug in the pulseaudio code. It was fixed a few months ago,
and the fix is now being merged with the packages for 12.04 and 12.10
(should be out within a couple of weeks)
13.04 includes pulseaudio 3.0, which already includes the fix.

Here's the bug report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1163638

I think it's fine to suggest fixing packages that are buggy, but please
remember that fixing these packages is done entirely by volunteers.
Which means, anyone may do it - you, or me.