Some screenshots of our new DE agnostic menu

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jun 22 05:09:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 20:41 -0400, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:
> There are additional reasons not to depend on USC: One of them
> is that it is reported to be very difficult to install in Mint, into which
> people might want to install US metas. All Ubuntustudio packages
> are accessable from Synaptic in Mint, as it uses Ubuntu repos.

That's not a valid argument. I also can't use US meta packages for my
Arch Linux install ;) and I suspect hat even with using "alien", they
won't fit to openSUSE either. Mint is a PITA, it's terrible broken, I
once tested it myself and if people try to fix it, they ask the Ubuntu
or Debian community, how to fix the borked, customized Ubuntu/Debian
called Mint, while we don't know what's different for Mint.

> The other reason is that folks who do not want support for paid
> software in their machines (myself included) often remove
> software-center and install Synaptic.

This is a very good argument, but OTOH it doesn't change the bad brain
of Mr. Shuttleworth. For sure, he made Linux more popular, but OTOH he
brings some bad influences too Linux. His gift is "hardcore capitalism"
and perhaps nothing else. If you install a clean Ubuntu, you'll get
links to Amazon etc., removing them from my install, won't clean the
dirty Ubuntu policy.
That's why Quantal perhaps is my last Ubuntu (Studio). I still follow
Ubuntu Studio and I didn't decide to drop Ubuntu forever, but it's very
likely that I'll do it.

For now I'm using Arch + Ubuntu, but in the future it might be Arch +
Debian. I'm undecided.

Regards,
Ralf