Saucy a mess right now with packages being removed from repos

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sat Jun 15 17:22:25 UTC 2013

The incompatable packages issue is getting so bad that Mint is
apparently about to fork all of the GNOME core, all the way down
to GTK3, for Cinnamon 2.0 (THIS cycle!), while installing GTK3 for
applications to use. GTK3 is changing so much anything else leaves
them roped to a now unpredictable upstream in Saucy and with the
upcomig Mir situation.

What are you using for graphics on your test system? Gnome-shell
and Cinnamon (which is a fork of gnome-shell )both require OpenGL2.0 to
run, meaning in ATI/AMD video at least R200 or later GPU. I don't know
the point where Intel and Nvidia got OpenGL2.0. If you don't have them,
you are stuck in fallback mode, meant only for testing and repairing a
system. You can still sample what Cinnamon will look like, but expect
a lot of CPU utilization and slow response via LLVMpipe.

On systems where Mint with Cinnamon works right simply pulling in
ubuntustudio workflow metas should work, since Mint is based on
Ubuntu and presumably uses the same PA setup. The US-Desktop meta
would not be so easy, as the themes would first have to be manually
selected from within Cinnamon to show up and then would not work, as
per my tests. The Xubuntu US session would be installed and work as
intended almost for sure (EXCEPT for the "distributor-logo") which Mint
overwrites. I will test this on the road sometime. You can fix the
Ubuntustudio button by purging "ubuntu-system-adjustments," the
Mint package that overwrites it.