Video players

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Tue Jun 4 21:01:47 UTC 2013

Am 04.06.2013 18:56, schrieb Jimmy Sjölund:
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>

>> A good description of a video workflow for those of us who don't know
>> anything about it would be very useful. In fact a documentation of the
>> video work flow for those starting out in video creation would be
>> fantastic.
>>

> As I wrote before I got caught of the conception of VideoSongs which is
> format for doing music videos with two rules:
> 1. What you see is what you hear (no lip-syncing for instruments or voice).
> 2. If you hear it, at some point you see it (no hidden sounds).
>
> So, when recording my music I now also set up my iPhone to record myself
> recording the music. This is later cut to a VideoSong. For an example check
> out http://youtu.be/lBUUOJpFg9Y which was the song that made me discover
> VideoSongs.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

> When I have finished the song, editing and mastering I go to work to make
> the video:
>
> 1) Import all the record videos into the video editor. For now I use
> Kdenlive, but will learn Cinelerra as well to see if it might fit my
> process better.

I doubt that. Cinelerra is useful, if you want to work with material for
theatre-screens or if toning is exceptionel important for you. But since
KDEnlive is stable and reliable, I do not longer see an important reason
to wrestle with a beast like Cinelerra....

> 2) Import the actual song.
>
> 3) Since I also use a one-take-only policy on my recordings I don't have to
> sort out which take of which instrument I used in the final song, there
> will be only one video file for each instrument played.

I do more and more abandon presets, even those, I made myself. One take
only is quite a challenge though... ;-)

> 4) I have sync all the videos to the music file. To do this in Mac or
> Windows the video editor often support scrubbing, so you can pinpoint the
> audio in the current video with the same spot in the song. Kdenlive does
> not support scrubbing so I have to look for obvious things in the track,
> like certain words sung or when an instrument start to play.

Just orientate by the waveforms and you get it perfectly in sync. Since
your videoclips are shot at the very recording you can align the audio
of the videoclip and the mixed-down song just perfectly...