Application Icons vs. icon themes

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Jul 11 14:06:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, July 11, 2013 12:38 am, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> Will there be icons for all of the menu items if choosing an icon theme
> other than the Ubuntu Studio icon theme?

Yes, but, the photography, graphic design and publishing would not be the
ones we have made. The publishing one looks like a sheet of paper,
photography looks like cheap point and shoot camera and graphics is an
artists paint board. I think these come from the gnome base theme which
just about all themes inherit.

> If yes, then we can of course put our icons in our icon theme package,
> if we decide that is how we want to do it in the end.
>
> If not, then I'd prefer putting them into the menu package, and use
> custom names for them.
> In the menu package, with custom names, they would not be categories,
> but application icons, and should be put into
> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/*/apps/ during installation

I had thought to put our icons in both places, in the menu package in
hicolor and in our own theme on top. That way our menu works "away from
home" and our ISO still looks polished.

It would not be hard to come up with unique names though and then we could
dispense with the theme and only have them in the menu package. On the
other hand, there is nothing wrong with having a theme or two if someone
has an itch to do that. Some of the DEs we are thinking of putting Studio
with, may work better with a light theme and others with dark. Also some
users (who are getting older) may find it easier to see one over the
other. (wait till you get to be 45/50 ;)

www.OvenWerks.net