Application Icons vs. icon themes

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Thu Jul 11 07:38:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013, at 01:47 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
> Mish I think I have caused some confusion with Icon themes.
>
> Here is something I explained on IRC, but realize it should be here so
> you
>  see it for sure:
>
> < OvenWerks> zequence: there are some problems I think with what you were
>                    discussing with Mish.
> < OvenWerks> You may recall, we wanted to use standard categories and
>                    names for things.
> < OvenWerks> so ihave styled all the icon names after the standard icon
>                    names for other standard menus.
> < OvenWerks> What this means, is that some of the icons I use (or will
>                    use when they are done) in the menu package will
>                    not show up in our menu because they are "themed over"
>                    or overriden by themes farther up the theme
>                    inheritance
>                    chain.
> < OvenWerks> That is why we are using the icon-theme to make sure our
>                    icons show up in our iso.
> < OvenWerks> zequence: there are two paths we can go with this:
> < OvenWerks> 1) use icon themes as Mish suggested, one dark and one light
>                    that inherit other dark and light themes. Mish seems
>                    have found nice ones.
> < OvenWerks> 2) Rename our icons non-standard so they show up no matter
>                    what icon theme is used.
> < OvenWerks> I am sure Mish's confusion is my fault and I appologize.
> < OvenWerks> I should probably drop this in the mailing list :)
>
> I am not sure this clears everything up, but as you can see there is a
> problem that needs resolution one way or the other.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.OvenWerks.net

Will there be icons for all of the menu items if choosing an icon theme
other than the Ubuntu Studio icon theme?

If yes, then we can of course put our icons in our icon theme package,
if we decide that is how we want to do it in the end.

If not, then I'd prefer putting them into the menu package, and use
custom names for them.
In the menu package, with custom names, they would not be categories,
but application icons, and should be put into
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/*/apps/ during installation