Disabling pulseaudio

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 05:15:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 13:33 -0400, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:
> > In some cases Totem and some other GNOME applications require
> afirmatively
> > setting Gstreamer preferences to use ALSA. I have forgotten exactly how
> that's
> > done (did it so long ago) and suspect it has changed since the days of
> Lucid.
>
> May I recommend jackd as sound server?
> http://jackaudio.org/gstreamer_via_jack
>
> IMO jackd is what musicians and audio engineers need. I know music isn't
> the focus of Ubuntu Studio, I anyway wounder that a distro were "studio"
> is for photo, drawing etc. + music and audio engineering, does ship with
> pulseaudio.
>
> Pulseaudio was crap, is crap and I guess it will be crap.
>
> Using ALSA directly is ok, something I'm doing myself, when I don't
> produce music, but IMO most important is that apps can be used with
> jackd.

i can choose to use JACK only, when i have pulse installed.. thats the way
i use my production machine.. "pulse is crap" is an opinion.. there is
nothing wrong with pulse, and no reason to remove it to use JACK without
pulse.. nor is there any compelling reason to remove it anyway, unless you
want to.. in the case that you want to, just remove it

MH

mikeholstein.info <http://www.mikeholstein.info/>