Disabling pulseaudio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jul 9 07:10:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 01:15 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:

> i can choose to use JACK only, when i have pulse installed.. thats the
> way i use my production machine.. "pulse is crap" is an opinion..
> there is nothing wrong with pulse, and no reason to remove it to use
> JACK without pulse.. nor is there any compelling reason to remove it
> anyway, unless you want to.. in the case that you want to, just remove
> it

We shouldn't discuss this, but simply help the OP. I assume that you're
able to explain what the OP needs to do, to disable pulseaudio while
everything then should use ALSA, since the OP runs into issues after
disabling pulseaudio ;). Why keeping it, when it's not needed ;)?

IMO the claim that pulseaudio is crap isn't an opinion, but an objective
fact. Even if it shouldn't cause issues after disabling it, the way the
leveling is one (and often not working) is idiotic. IIRC Fons once said
something similar to "if an audio engineer would adjust the level in one
signal chain by several faders at the same time, the engineer would be
fired for the incompetence".