Default Sample rate for Pulse Audio/Jack etc.

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Tue Jan 8 15:26:56 UTC 2013

David,

 > As of PulseAudio 2.0 (i e Ubuntu 12.10 and up), PulseAudio should
 > automatically switch between 44100 and 48000 depending on the source
 > material. I don't know how much tested this feature is though.

I confirmed this on Ubuntu 12.10 with my three sound cards. One is HDA,
others are USB-connected (44.1kHz to192kHz) and Firewire-connected
(44.1kHz only).

When I connect 44.1kHz-limited-sound-card (Firewire), PulseAudio put
44.1kHz PCM playback stream into ALSA driver even if I playback 48kHz
source. Then I disconnected the Firewire device, PulseAudio put 48kHz
PCM playback stream into ALSA driver. Here 96kHz or 192kHz source are
mixdown into 48kHz PCM stream by PulseAudio.

It seems to work what you expected.

my stuff:
USB - EMU-0404 USB
Firewire - Echo AudioFire Pre 8 with ALSA driver which I'm working to
develop, based on Clemens' experimental driver
(http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kprivate.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/fireworks)

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto
o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp