Ubuntu Studio 12.10 and OpenShot

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Jan 3 23:44:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, December 27, 2012 11:17 am, Alan Gourlay wrote:

> Over the last couple of days I have
> installed the following versions of Ubuntu Studio 12.10, i368 and
> amd64 and have tried the following:
> After checking the downloaded
> files in both the 32Bit and 64Bit versions and burning ISO to DVD,
> OpenShot does seems to work as expected running from burnt DVD.
> After
> installing from same DVD's to hard drive in both cases, OpenShot
> refuses to open with just a flicker of Hard Drive activity and then
> dies.

Hmm, works on 13.04 (alpha or beta or whatever) At least it opens. There
is quite a lot of output to the terminal when I start it from there. SO
open a terminal and start openshot from there (type openshot and enter)
and see what gets output. That may tell you something... core dump may not
be so helpful :( Anyway, after that if it has not started, ubuntu-bug
openshot will gather info and file a bug report.

The only other thing I can think of is to open the setting manager and
from Window Manager Tweaks try disabling the display compositing.

Are you using the stock (open) video drivers, or a proprietary driver?
That may make a difference too.

www.OvenWerks.net