Graphics apps, kde stuff

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Feb 24 21:40:16 UTC 2013

On Sun, February 24, 2013 11:57 am, Benjamin Turner wrote:
> On 02/24/2013 09:44 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
>> My opinion is that integration is over rated :)  Adding krita is 38Mb on
>> the ISO or so. I am downloading it now to try. I find mypaint hard to
>> use,
>> but that is mostly because there is not an artist using the mouse :P
> I agree with you about integration, mostly. One major thing to be said
> about the 'kde' integration is the ease of setting up custom keybindings
> for wacom tablets (what digital artist uses a mouse anymore?! ;) ).

That was sort of my point. I am not an artist. So I do use a mouse, cause
I don't have a tablet :)  I would like to have one though, because I think
it would make a great midi controller surface. Print out a mixer or other
controller (or even an organ like keyboard, or drawbars just to name a
few) and touch the four corners to set up the program and instant midi
controller.

> I know that XFCE has some basic setup for tablets, and the pressure
> sensitivity is still used in Mypaint etc while under xfce, but being
> able to specifically configure the tablet for KDE apps in general is the
> real plus of KDE+Krita.

Good to know. There are a few areas I would like to see fixed in xfce.
Dual monitors is another. It would be great to know how kde does it. One
day when I feel rich I will have to buy a tablet to play with. I wonder if
just the kde settings app(let) is usable in xfce? I wonder if it uses a
setup file, a driver or environment variables. (or just talks to x about
it)

> I would say that I tend to use Mypaint for quick sketches in xfce, but
> if I'm going to do some real intensive painting sessions, I boot up a
> Kubuntu session with my specific tablet settings. The main drawback for
> me is that I always feel like there is A LOT of overhead using KDE just
> to get this functionality, but I don't have the time, or really the
> technical know-how to implement this type of thing in xfce.

Yes KDE is a bit of a resource hog. I would like to slim down xfce even. I
would like to get rid of anything that puts icons on the desktop, like the
instance of thunar that runs at session start.

> This alone is reason enough to add it to US, but perhaps some effort
> upstream to make XFCE's tablet configuration more robust would be the
> real winner for every piece of digital painting software in US!

That makes +3 and -1 so far.

Scott? I know you do more graphics than I do.

Any other artists?

www.OvenWerks.net