[ubuntu-studio-devel] New for saucy

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Aug 25 21:20:24 UTC 2013

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:

> Meanwhile a lot of packages are not in Saucy's repos. A couple weeks ago,
> I used a then-current DVD installer to put a new version of US on my test
> partition, then ran it through my ongoing Cinnamon DE experiments.
> In order to install it from a PPA specified for Saucy, I had to install
> a whole bunch of packages out of Raring repos that have been removed!
> In fact, my current working desktop, although following Saucy, could not
> be duplicated without access to Raring's repos.

Just to clarify, UbuntuStudio has not dropped any applications (that I am
aware of). So the SW you are talking about must have to do with the Cinnamon
DE and it's set up. This would seem to indicate that none of the ubuntu
flavours are using this SW and so no one has made sure that SW is kept up.
There are different reasons this might be:
  1) the upstream author is no longer supporting it and so as the library
     version has changed there is no longer a lib version that will allow
     this SW to compile for saucy. (we lost GCDMaster this way)
  2) That SW has been replaced with SW of a different name (for example
     cdrecord and ffmpeg)
  3) Other things I can't think of right now :)

While it would be interesting to know what these apps/packages are, I do not
know that we can do anything about it before FF if at all. The main user of
Cinnamon is Mint. ubuntugnome is more about gnome shell in ubuntu rather than
classic or it look-alikes. So the question might be, what direction Mint is
going.

Rather than starting with a UbuntuStudio ISO, I would think that starting with
mini.iso and building from there might be better. Come up with a meta package
that takes mini.iso and generates the desktop you would like, then include
ubuntustudio-installer to allow choosing the workflows as needed. You may need
to create a "classicstudio-default-settings" package to finish off the desktop
look and feel.

You may be able to use some of the ubuntustudio packages as they are though.
In all it is a big job you are trying to do. Starting with someone else's ISO
would be the easiest way. (ubuntustudio started with xubuntu for example)

Len