ubuntustudio icons

Shubham Mishra mishrashubham2007 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 09:52:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Ralf Mardorf

>To enlarge something small is different to shrink something large ;).
>"We" already draw comics on A3 while they are printed on A5 ;). That
>becomes seldom an issue, anyway, even this could become an issue.

Downsampling an image also introduces artifacts, mostly those related
to aliasing (although this depends on the algorithm used) like Emmet
said. Rendering a bitmap from a vector at the desired resolution
bypasses this problem (although this too has its limitations like
Emmet mentioned).

On 7/25/12, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 02:45 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
>>     To see the effect of this yourself, take a look through the icons
>> already
>> installed on your computer: try scaling them to various sizes (including
>> upscaling to e.g. 800x800 or so).  I suspect you'll find that vector
>> files
>> (from SVG) survive better than bitmaps.
>

> To enlarge something small is different to shrink something large ;).
> "We" already draw comics on A3 while they are printed on A5 ;). That
> becomes seldom an issue, anyway, even this could become an issue.
>
> I guess I understand what you're trying to explain, but your example
> isn't valid ;).
>
> However, thank you for the information (I'm serious, since I guess I
> understand what you mean),
> Ralf

HAVE A GOOD DAY.