Publishing/Desktop Publishing/DTP

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jul 21 04:47:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, July 20, 2012 9:02 pm, C. F. Howlett wrote:
> Desktop Publishing/DTP appears to have been dropped
> from the default menus.  I was asked for some font advice and confidently
> went to US to create a quick font catalog only to find no such tools
> available in the default installation.  Likewise, the website authoring
> tools appear to have been dropped.  I can see dropping the website tools,
> but the DTP tools?  In the past, such tools have included Scribus and the
> various font creation and management apps.

I don't know how clear it is from what is said, but it looks like we will
be moving back in that direction. See item 5 in the quantal blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ubuntustudio-q-workflows

To me even an E-book is the same as any book, it is just distributed
differently. Scott's words were stronger in regard to adding "publishing".
I wouldn't hold your breath for 12.10 though, contributers seem to be
pretty thin over the summer... those left are doing the best we can. I've
waited three weeks trying to get some packages released so we can test
them, but the people are stretched too thin right now.

I think I have a font manager to add, three yes marks, zero no marks so
far. Could you give me a list of apps for publishing? We need two lists
actually. A minimal list that gives a complete workflow from start to
finish. That is one of each that pulls in the fewest extra depends we can.
I would also like a fuller list that we can set up for easy install for
those who want more. Maybe start with a list of types of apps: Font
manager, font creator, DTP program... etc. There is going to be some over
lap from this to graphics I would think, but publishing seems to be part
of the vision for Ubuntu Studio. Scott, please correct me if or where I'm
wrong.

Anyway, I think I will mark a part of the desktop seed as DTP stuff to
keep it separate, unless someone gives me permission to start a DTP file
in seeds so we can have a meta for it. At least if it is visibly separate
it should be easy to move out of the desktop into it's own meta (or just
remove if it doesn't work out). They will all be "recommends" so it is
easy to remove unwanted SW and replace it with other Apps.

www.OvenWerks.net