[Fwd: Re: [Jack-Devel] jackd installation, audio group?]

Ralf Madorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 24 14:59:58 UTC 2012

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
To: jack-devel at lists.jackaudio.org
Subject: Re: [Jack-Devel] jackd installation, audio group?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:56:29 +0100

On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 12:17 +0100, Adrian Knoth wrote:
> On 01/22/12 14:24, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Let me first blame you for crossposting this to three mailing lists,
> including the jackd devel list, let alone without CC'ing the three lists
> but each time creating individual messages.
>
> While you're completely free to do so, it took me a while to decide
> where to chime in.
>
> > Would it be terribly difficult to include a choice for adding users to
> > audio group during the installation of jackd?
>
> I'm going to discuss this issue as a reply to #656910, so we avoid
> (thanks again to your blind-triple-xpost) split discussions.
>

> Cheers
>
> PS: For those outside Debian/Ubuntu, #656910 is
>      http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=656910

It's a discussion that started at the Ubuntu devel mailing list and it's
about a lack of knowledge, that changing the groups name would make no
difference with PAM and that there could be different
multi-user-accesses, several users using the PC one after the other or
at the same time and this would effect the usage of audio.

Studio distros usually set the first user to the group audio by default.
If the machine is used by several users, an admin should set up settings
for users.

Anyway, somebody already linked to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/TheAudioGroup and I linked to
http://jackaudio.org/faq , so I guess the lack is filled up.
The crossposting was done because several people didn't know where to
file there idea about an issue.

Usually I recommend people to ask at LAU if they don't know whom to ask.
In this case I missed to recommend to subscripe and post to LAU only
first. So I'll do it now: