Groups, permisions, work flow

Kaj Ailomaa ailo.at at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 08:12:46 UTC 2012

On 2012-01-22 21:08, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 01/21/2012 06:41 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>> There was some discussion on the IRC channel that got me thinking about
>> this. Ubuntu's standard position on use of the audio group is here:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/TheAudioGroup
>
> After having cleaned that page up a bit (something strange was recently
> added to it), I'd just clarify my wishlist:
>
> 1) I would like users to be able to get stable real-time audio without
> having to violate system security.
>
> 2) If that is not possible, I'd like the audio group - as used by jackd2
> - to be renamed in order not to clash with the problems outlined in the
> above article.
>
> The second solution seems quite simple to implement, so I've just filed
> a bug for this in Debian:
>
> Let's see what happens.

I brought up this on the jack devel list. Both the problem with using
audio group, as well as how to administer it.
A suggestion was made to create a new group called preempt.
Ideally, I would like it to end up as a default group for users on
Debian based systems, but I'm not sure with whom to speak, and what
reason is against it etc, but I'm asking around anyway.
Would be gold to get this solved.