nautilus search function/ how about Nemo?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Dec 20 01:12:48 UTC 2012

On Wed, December 19, 2012 10:38 am, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:
> Lots of people are ditching Nautilus, the Mint folks called what GNOME did
> to it a "catastrophe" and forked the Nautilus 3.4 code, calling it Nemo
> and taking over mantainance of it. That's what I am using now. If Ubuntu
> or US uses what GNOME is now shipping in any finished release, I  suspect
> that will be seriously regretted as online commentators hammer the distro.
> If Thunat falls short, Nemo works great, doesn't require all of  Cinnamon
> to use, and is being kept compatable with current libraries.

Nemo looks very nice. It is however not an option for UbuntuSTudio at this
time simply because it is not in our repos that the ISOs are built from.
It may be of interest to some of our users though. I don't know how hard
it would be to add it and what the maintenance requirements would be.

As for note pad vs. desktop, I tend to agree rather with consumer/work
station division.
 - ubuntu server is not affected. Ubuntu expects servers to be admin. from
a web based tool.... which they sell :)  I have no problem with this as
that helps pay for some of the things Studio needs like ISO rolling.

 - ubuntu desktop is a consumer distro. It is meant to be easy for
non-computer people to use as an entertainment base. It tries to be
pretty, slick and easy to use while hiding "the works" away from the
user. As a consumer system, it can still fit really well in an office
environment as most offices use relatively few applications from day to
day. Also most people still think in single application/full screen
terms. This is what most of the people who don't use a linux system right
now want. Make it run just a little faster than windows, and a little
more solid and it looks good.

 - Ubuntu Studio is a work station. It is important for many more things
to be accessible to the user. However, it is not a programmer's work
station but an artist's work station. One shouldn't have to be a
programmer to make good use of it. That is why there is a GUI, not CLI
and why we have used xfce which is styled like what many people are used
to while still being light weight. This way the system can be more
responsive where the artist needs it, in the application they are using
rather than desktop show-off stuff. It also allows quick access to less
often used apps in a menu that is specific to artists.

Right now we use a lot of stock Ubuntu meta packaging.... this may be part
of the problem with the seeming lack of performance of low latency and RT
kernels we are having since kernel 3.*. It seems when we try a 2.6 kernel
in a newer release it is not so responsive either...

As a distro, we have an opportunity to fill a hole that is being left more
empty every release by big interests trying to reach the consumer. It will
be interesting to see how well we can do with the resources we have.

www.OvenWerks.net