Volunteering for Ubuntu Studio

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 13:28:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Jon Reagan <jreagan90 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> My name is Jon, and I'm interested in helping out the Ubuntu Studio
> project.  Recently, I read in the release notes from 11.10 that the
> project was dealt an "almost complete team fail."  I've enjoyed using
> the system and was saddened to hear things did not go as well as
> planned.
>
> For a quick bio, I have some background with the Ubuntu project which
> I was involved with for roughly two and a half years.  During that
> time I filled a number of roles in many different areas of the
> project, so I am familiar with the wiki, launchpad, and the like.  I
> consider myself a "jack of all trades" but master of none. ;)
>
> Now that I'm at a point where I have more free time on my hands, I was
> looking for an opportunity to help out an open source project.  It was
> about this time that I read the release notes for Oneiric and thought
> I would look into becoming involved with Ubuntu Studio.  I would
> really like to help out in the part of the project that needs the most
> attention.  I look forward to working with you all!
>
> All the best,
>
> Jon Reagan

Hi Jon,

Wow!  That is outstanding news, indeed :)

During the next week I will be continuing my work on a "Contribute to
Ubuntu Studio" wiki page so that will hopefully be a repository of tasks
needing to be done.  But I can tell you some of the big items we are
working on currently.

We have several big items we are working on:
 * building, submitting to REVU, and getting approved the -lowlatency
kernel so we can use it by default in the image
 * transitioning from the alternate installation image to a live dvd
 * also transition to Edubuntu's method of selection software during
installation (GUI equivalent of alternate's tasksel)

And then we have some more mundane tasks:
 * updating the lightdm theme (probably stealing what ubuntu has done)
 * updating the theme (very similar to what xubuntu has done)
 * updating the documentation found in help.ubuntu.com
 * updating the current website (lot's of people already working on this
one though)

I'm excited that you want to help Ubuntu Studio and look forward to hearing
back from you :)

ScottL