Dual screens

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Nov 27 05:26:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, November 26, 2011 8:46 pm, Len Ovens wrote:
> I think it can be quite usable where it is. The one thing I haven't
> figured out is how I saved the configuration... I have tried switching the
> monitors around and rebooting but it comes back to internal left/external
> right every time... I'll try some more.

I figured out how I got it to save... and it is not permanent all the
time, but it is consistent. Use arandr to set the screens as you wish...
then open settings->Display... set one of the displays on is side or
upside down and when the dialogue asks if you like it let it time out...
actually you can make any change at all (don't turn off and on one of the
monitors though) and back and it saves it somewhere.... it seems to save
the whole screens setup when it does so and xfce on next startup uses that
info to set the display up including each displays position. However, if
when the computer was turned off, the external monitor was removed... on
next boot xfce sets the "new" monitor up to something reasonable (maybe
turning "auto" off would change this) for that one screen. When the other
screen is plugged back in... it is once again on top of the internal
screen.

My choice therefore (for now) would be arandr over grandr because it
allows the saving of different setups and the recall of them. Getting it
to save default to where "display" does would sure be a bonus. Changing
Display would be even better. Detecting the change of monitor and using a
saved setup would be better yet.... and should be possible by saving a
setup as an X monitor definition. Anyway, I would say add arandr but leave
the display utility there as well.

www.OvenWerks.net